Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Insulating Walls


This morning I rode my bike to the lot and found several vehicles in front. The insulation truck was there, as well as the bricklayers.

The bricks surrounding the north house entrance were almost complete.

Inside our house, the guys preparing for the installation of insulation were tacking a mesh fabric against the studs inside the exterior walls.
At the top of the wall, someone else was tucking preformed corrugated cardboard pieces into the edges of the attic. I assume that these are to prevent the insulating fibers from creeping out into the eaves. I'll have to verify that.

[Update: The cardboard pieces serve two purposes: the first is as I thought, to keep insulation fibers from escaping and 2) the longer pieces are placed where there are vents in the soffets and they direct outside air along the slope inside the roof. Here is a picture that shows the two lengths.
The air that travels up along the inside of the attic escapes through the ridge vent on the roof. This keeps the attic from getting too hot in the summer. And in winter, the R-50 blown in insulation in the attic will prevent this cold air from penetrating into the house.]

Downstairs, Todd, the HVAC guy, was busy connecting the last of the ducts to the HRV heat exchange module.


A few hours later I rode back to check on the progress of all these projects and found a big hose coming out of the insulation installation truck, vibrating as white fiber was being blown through it.


I followed the hose to where the insulation was being blown into the space behind the fabric -- first the upper chamber, then the lower.
Downstairs the interior walls surrounding the furnace room were insulated with the more familiar insulating blankets.

The garage in the north house was also being surrounded with insulating blankets.
And outside-
The bricklayers were getting started on the last surface they will brick. It is the short wall at our front entrance.
 Daylight savings time means there are longer work days and the mason said that they expected to finish this wall by the end of the day.

No comments: