Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Decisions Decisions!

A lot of decisions went into designing the floorplan of the house but not every decision was made before the shovels hit the dirt. The first decision after the build was what color the window frames and eaves would be -- not because the windows were going in right away but because the trim at the base of the roof had to be installed to match. White was the easiest, most economical choice.

Armed with a list of suppliers' names and addresses, Sharon and I visited a brickyard, stucco supplier,roofing provider, millwork shop, and flooring wholesaler. Gradually we put together the pieces that seemed to look good.

Still unsure of myself, I turned to a friend who is an interior designer and asked for a confirmation that what we were doing would be okay. She gave the go-ahead and just in time.

The bricks we chose are red -- Interstate brand "Dartmouth"; The stucco mostly "Storm Gray", a dark gray, with lighter gray trim around the windows and doors called "Revere". The shingles we chose are Landmark, color "Driftwood". Since the roof and brick is now finished, I have been able to find scraps during my walk-abouts. They will take the place of the sample boards I gathered from the salesmen at the various shops when I have to give them back.
The flooring salesman didn't want to let the samples leave his shop but when I said I wanted to take them to the designer for approval, he let me take them just overnight. I was glad I had a chance to do that. Having the chance to try the carpet out under the sofas and other wood furniture, I decided it wouldn't be right for the basement. When I went back the next day I looked around and found a multi-color carpet that I think will be great in the basement. Unfortunately, it is a special order so I couldn't get a sample piece to bring home. It is Phenix brand carpet, style Quest, color Lifevest (no idea why it is called that; it isn't bright orange like a life jacket).

The hard floor we'll have throughout most of the main floor is LVP (luxury vinyl plank flooring) Provenza brand, style Uptown Chic, color Double Dare. The grain of the represented wood walks back and forth between gray and brown. Perfect.
The carpet for the master bedroom is similar in that it has gray to brown fibers in it. It is also Phenix brand, Intrinsic Syle and color Underlying (who comes up with these names?!).
The bathroom floor will also be vinyl but square interlocking tiles instead of planks: Mannington brand, Century the style, and Pumise the color.

Costco has supplied us with many of the light fixtures; I just bought three fixtures for over the three bathroom vanities. Sharon found lights for the outside by the garage door (for cars) and the garage door (for people). I thought I needed four but I need two more wall lights. One will go on the wall outside the back door, south side of the house, and the other over the opening of the stairs between my sewing room and the upstairs closet. I think I have found what I like for the pendant lights over the kitchen island but I am still undecided on the chandelier for the stairwell and over the dining room table. The ceiling lights will be easier. I'm not as particular about those.

No comments: