On Friday at about 4 o'clock, Jeff called to say that the tile I had chosen for the backsplash in the kitchen was not in stock and it might take until August to get them so I drove over to the tile outlet and started over. Jeff said that if I couldn't find and bring the tiles to the house that evening, he would call the installer and tell him not to come until Tuesday.
These decisions are not easy for me but I didn't want another delay. The sales associate was very helpful and we found a nice substitute. I carried the boxes of tile out of the store at about 10 after 5 (they were supposed to close at 5). They weren't open on Saturday so it was, indeed, the very last minute to avoid another delay.
On Saturday I went to the house to see what was going on that day.
Jeff and Bryan were there.
Mark, the painter, was gathering his equipment. He had worked late in the night and slept in his truck.
The finish carpenter arrived to begin building the alt stairway on the east side of the house. This is what I saw at the end of the day:
![]() |
| Looking down from the closet |
![]() |
| The ascending stairs as seen from the sewing room |
Ramon, the tile guy, and his assistant, who also happened to be our stucco workers, were there and asked about the color grout we wanted.
I hear he finished it on Sunday. On Monday morning it was beautiful!
At the same time, a big truck was blowing insulation into the attic space.
Carpet installers came in after the insulation truck moved out of the way. That will be a two day job.
Jeff had wanted the City to come on Tuesday or Wednesday to inspect for occupancy but Corey, who was to arrange the installation of cultured marble bath vanity tops last week, didn't. The plumber won't come until everything is ready for him so we still have no tub or sink faucets; dishwasher, water heater, and water softener are still not connected; and we still have no basement toilet.
There are also a few hiccups where subcontractors weren't communicating with each other. For example, the cord of the heat exchange unit hangs from the ceiling in the middle of the furnace room. The electrician was told the cord would be near a wall but now he'll need to come back and install another outlet -- somewhere -- in the ceiling, perhaps.
The occupancy inspection is now set for Thursday, the 25th. Another "hail Mary pass" racing the clock! If we don't pass on Thursday, all our belongings will be stored for the long weekend in a truck or storage unit. And we'll be camping out in someone else's basement. The next possible inspection would be Tuesday after Memorial Day.






No comments:
Post a Comment