Tuesday, February 21, 2017

More ducts and pipes

I can see changes each day I go by but usually, no one is on the site when I go there. An exception was early last week when Jeff, and Todd (the HVAC guy) and Brian and I pow-wowed over the heat recovery ventilation system.

I have been reading about this kind of system that harvests the heat (or coolness) from air that is exhausted from the house and transfers it to the incoming fresh ventilation air. Although commercial buildings use this kind of system, it is still rare in residential building in Utah.

I was stubborn about wanting good ventilation. I suppose you can get anything if you are willing to pay the price and I hope the cost won't drive us out of the house! We keep asking about the cost of the system and he says he's working on "pricing it out".
Each day I find next steps to installing it. For example:

here is the duct work to draw the stale air from the kitchen (or since it is the kitchen, possibly smokey air). The ducts will be nestled in the attic under at least 15 inches of blown in insulation. The blanket it is wrapped in further insulates and maintains the temperature of the conditioned air so the heat exchange unit can transfer it to the incoming fresh, filtered air.

It is certainly looking like a tangled web between floors! The water lines are not installed yet and the electrician will be laying electrical cables through here too!

Once the ceiling covers it, one will never guess the network that is hidden from view.

No comments: