Thursday, December 22, 2016

Footings and Foundations

A lot has happened in the past few weeks. The picture below was taken on the 9th of December.


After the footings were laid, the frames for the foundation walls went up. 

I arrived on the 13th to see a concrete pump and two cement trucks line up. When the first mixer was emptied, the second truck hooked up with hardly a break in the pour. 

The pump truck operator, standing by me as I took pictures, had a trainee positioning and operating the hose by remote control. The trainee has the controller on his belt.

The days have been pretty cold so one night they had to put blankets over the newly poured walls. Jeff told me that the cold isn't as much a problem for new concrete as hot weather. It slows the curing and makes for stronger concrete. I'm all for a "Fim Foundation"!
When the frames came down, we could see their work. 

Next they would need to push the earth back against the walls. The garage has dirt below the floor surface; the basement windows need window wells before the dirt can be pushed back against the outside of the house.

The black circular object near the top of the photo is the cover to the sewage ejection system. The two concrete squares left of the center footing mark the sides of the stairwell. The metal strap that protrudes from the corner of the foundation wall will tie the corner framing uprights to the foundation, to help prevent the house from slipping off the foundation in the event of an earthquake .

Today the piles of dirt were finally moved enough to see the south neighbors' houses and to allow me to photograph the project from the back of the lot facing north. I'm going out tonight to take a Christmas treat and meet the neighbors I haven't yet.
Merry Christmas!!


No comments: