Saturday, March 17, 2012

Taking on a New Project

Much has happened since last I left a post on this blog.
Lena came and left. She left a mark on the household -- my sewing room ended up in the basement and we have a soda stream machine in the kitchen.
PTA work picked up in the fall. Family members trickled in for holiday visits.
Then in January the legislature session began and I was off to the Capitol most days of the week.
That ended just after the first week of March and the filing deadline for political candidates couldn't be ignored -- by me. I had promised myself and my family that I would not run again but someone found a loop hole.
Two different people, independent of each other, contacted me to encourage me to run for the State Board of Education.
The reasons for my decision not to run were called into question.
I didn't like what the partisan campaign did to label me. But this race is non-partisan.
I didn't like the long season of fund-raising. This campaign would be far shorter and less expensive.
I had been unsure of myself with regard to my knowledge in many areas of public policy in the legislative campaign. This position is focused on education -- an area about which I am much more confident.

On the last day of the filing window, I filed for candidacy.
I was surprised how many people spotted my name and contacted me to wish me well.

The campaign won't begin for some time. In fact, it may not begin at all. The candidates for the State School Board are interviewed and culled by a nominating committee. For each district, they forward three names to the Governor who chooses two to appear on the ballot. At that point, candidates take their case to the voters.

It will probably be May before I know whether I am campaigning this summer. I better hurry and get my household projects done in the spring -- just in case.



No comments: