I went to the dentist yesterday. I take my daughter out to lunch if she comes away from a dental exam with no cavities. Unfortunately I missed out on taking myself out to lunch. As I age, so does my dental work and I am faced with not only the possibility of new fillings but also of old ones that need to be replaced.
I don't know anyone who actually enjoys having their teeth cleaned by the dental hygienist but in the past, the slick, shiny feel of my teeth as I left the office was some reward. It made me want to keep them slick and shiny too so I usually skipped lunch that day and brushed and flossed more frequently for several days afterward.
Nowadays, my dentist's staff has adopted the use of a fluoride treatment that is applied to the teeth after the cleaning and exam that feels like waxy gunk on the teeth surfaces. As they remove my bib, they say, "it's okay to eat and drink right away but don't brush or floss for at least 6 hours."
So now, after feeling the yucky stuff on my teeth for about 24 hours and having a big, sticky lunch, dinner, and breakfast, including dessert, I think I'll go brush. But it's too late to feel the joy of the new cleaning. All that is left is the dread of the next visit.
1 comment:
Eww. I think I need to see a dentist at some point, but I think now I'll put that at the bottom off the to-do stack.
Post a Comment